Thursday 5 December 2013

How I Met My Husband

In some of my favorite blogs, the authors have a section about their love story.  I find this is such a great way to get to know the person whose writing I am reading.  I would like to share the same with you.  Also, I would like to write down the story now, while it is still fresh and I can remember all of the details.

I am going to write the story in parts, so stay tuned for the updates :)

Brett and I grew up on farms that were very close to each other, yet we had never met.  He is three years older than me and we went to high schools in different small towns.  I met his little brother in Grade 12, because he played hockey with my friends and he a friend of my little sister.  At the end of high school, Austin (my little sister) made a joke about how she and Lee (Brett's little brother) should set Brett and I up on a blind date.  We laughed about it and even looked up Brett on facebook - creepy, I know - but never actually thought about it seriously.

September rolled around and I moved away from home to attend university.  This was a huge transition for me, I was living three hours away from home in a city - when I had hardly ever left the farm or our small town before.  On one particularly hard day in September when I was feeling lonely, Austin decided to cheer me up by setting me up with Lee's older brother.  The plan was for her to give my number to Lee, who would then give it to Brett.  I laughed it off and didn't think Austin would actually ever do it.

Brett and I (left) and our matchmakers Lee and Austin (right)
Fast forward a couple of hours and I get a text from a number I didn't recognize.  I couldn't believe it, but sitting in my messge box was a text saying "Hi Aubrey, this is Brett Tollefson.  I hope you aren't really creeped out right now, my brother swears you know that he gave me your number."  I told him that no I wasn't creeped out, but I couldn't believe he had actually texted me.  For a little background on this situation, this was completely out of character for Brett and I.  We are both pretty quiet people, and Brett would be the first to say he was a little timid when approaching women.

Somehow, despite this really strange way of meeting, we hit it off immediately and found that we were talking all the time.  It only took Brett a day or so to ask me out on our first date.

To be continued...    

2 comments:

  1. [ Laughs ] Very interesting! You looked up Brett on Facebook.

    I enjoyed your article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renard! I am so glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete