Tuesday 4 February 2014

How to Cable Stitch


Hello!  We will be using this cable stitch for an upcoming scarf tutorial.  So, like I did with the back and front post double crochet tutorial, I am going to preface the scarf tutorial with a simple how-to for the cable knit stitch.

As you can see in the above picture, each of the two cables twist a different direction (the top cable twists to the left and the bottom twists to the right).  To change the direction of your cable is very easy, as the two techniques are almost exactly the same.

To start a cable you cast on the amount of stitches you need to make your project the appropriate width.  The cable is done on a knit section that is flanked by a purl section on each side.  For example, the above is done with the following sequence: K5 P3 K4 P4 K4 P3 K5.  The cable is done on the K4 sections.  You will have a certain amount of normal rows between the row that you work the cable into.  I did 5 normal rows of K5 P3 K4 P4 K4 P3 K5, then on the 6th row I worked my cable into the K4 sections.

What you need:
Any yarn you like
Appropriate needles for your chosen yarn
A cable stitch holder (mine is like a short double pointed needle with a little "v" in the middle)

Details of working the cable:


Essentially, to work the cable you simply slide the first 2 stitches of the K4 section onto your cable stitch holder (step 1).  Then you put the holder the the front (for twist right) or to the back (for twist left) and knit the last 2 stitches of the K4 section as normal (steps 3 and 3).  Then you go back to your 2 stitches on the cable stitch holder and knit those (step 4).


I hope this tutorial wasn't too confusing.  If you have any questions, please put them into the comments section for this post and I will be sure to answer them promptly.  Also, if you'd like me to post a video of this stitch, let me know!  I love knitting with a cable stitch because it allows me to measure my progress easier and it is a pretty easy way to make your project look fancier than it normally would.

No comments:

Post a Comment