Tuesday 8 April 2014

Funny How a Melody, Sounds Like a Memory

Probably one of my all time favorite songs is "Springsteen" by Eric Church.  If you aren't a fan of country music, humor me and give it a try.  I love the lyrics, they are simple but still manage to make you think.  My favorite section of the song is probably this:

Baby is it spring or is it summer
The guitar sound or the beat of that drummer,
You hear sometimes late at night on your radio?
Even though you're a million miles away,
When you hear Born in the USA
Do you relive those glory days from so long ago?

When you think about me,
Do you think about 17?
Do you think about my old Jeep,
Think about the stars in the sky?
Funny how a melody, sounds like a memory,
Like a soundtrack to a July Saturday night.

I feel like everyone can relate to this song, we all have that song that takes us back in time.  If I were to list my top 5 songs that take me back, they would probably go something like this:

5.  Down on the Corner by Credence Clearwater Revival - My parents had a casset tape of CCR's greatest hits that we would listen to on every road trip we took to my mom's parent's place.  They lived six hours       away from our farm, so there was a lot of time to enjoy that tape.  I can remember singing along to every   single song with my dad, mom and sister.

4.  Gone Country by Alan Jackson, But For The Grace of God by Keith Urban, and She Couldn't Change   Me by Montgomery Gentry - I have these three mashed into one slot because they were all hits in the           summers that I spent in the feild with my mom and dad.  When my sister and I were too little to stay             home alone all day at the farm (mom and dad were in the feild  all day) we would go out in either the             baler with mom or the swather with dad and spend the day with them.  These radio hits take me back to those hours.

3.  Small Town by John Cougar Mellencamp - Brett and I usually listen to this one on repeat when we are in the tractor or combine (that is after I have hijacked the music and switched it to country).  We have some of our best visits when we are in the farm equipment, they often revolve around how lucky we feel to have grown up in the country and to continue that legacy.  

2.  I Loved Her First by Heartland - My dad and I danced to this song at my wedding, and it probably will always make me cry when I hear it (in fact, I am crying to it right now... why do I do this to myself??).         There is just something about a dad and his little girl that is special, and this song really describes that.           When I hear this song I remember my dads voice as he told me he loved me when we were dancing and       kissed my head - I hope that I never forget that moment.

I am so grateful that someone captured this moment.
1.  Livin' On Love by Alan Jackson - This song brings up a few different memories.  First, I remember loving it as a little girl, thinking about how someday I wanted to dance to it at my wedding.  When Brett and I         were dating, we went to Craven Country Jambouree to see Alan Jackson (you may have picked up that I     am a fan).  When he played Livin' On Love, we two stepped in the grand stands to it.  Lastly, and most           meaningful, this was our first dance at our wedding.  I will always remember that dance, and how happy I was to have just married my best friend, when I hear this song.

Our first dance, to Livin' On Love
What are some of your favorite melodies that bring back a memory?  I would love to hear about them in the comments section.




No comments:

Post a Comment