Saturday 28 June 2014

Our Wedding

Today, Brett and I are one day shy of our first anniversary.  I can hardly believe how this year has flown by.  This past year has brought us both joys (in the form of a very successful harvest, new babies being born into the family and community, and a whole year of loving one another) and sorrows (in the form of losses of some very important people in our lives) - but I can honestly say that this has been the best year of my life so far, because I was lucky enough to spend it with my best friend.

This will be Part VII of Our Love Story.  If you'd like to catch up on the other parts, the links are as follows:

How I met my Husband
Our First Date
Becoming Brett's Girlfriend
Learning the Truth About Dating a Farmer
Our Engagement
Our Engagement Photos

In celebration of our almost-anniversary, I am going to share my memories of our big day with you.

After a very tearful rehearsal the day before the wedding (I think I scared the groomsmen) I woke up feeling refreshed.  I was surprised that - other than feeling ecstatic and really, really happy - I wasn't really feeling emotional.  While my sister (also my maid of honor) went to decorate the getaway truck, I read the letter that Brett wrote to me (and shed a few - okay, many - happy tears).

I found getting ready so fun!  A behind the scenes look:



The boys were having some fun too:


Thanks to my handy time table (to see the time table, click here), we all managed to make it to the church on time (I think we were early even).  It is hard to describe the feelings I had while I waited in the cool church basement - it was a very surreal experience.  I think it was mostly disbelief that the day we had planned for so long was actually here.  I had the feeling that I was right on the edge of doing something totally life altering - I was about to pledge myself to another person (it seems really silly, but it is such a crazy feeling).

When it was finally time to walk down the aisle, I only felt joy.  Never in my life have I ever felt so happy.  I kept saying to my bridesmaids, "I'm just so happy, I don't think I will even cry at all".  Ha... Good one Aubrey.  When the last bridesmaid had left down the aisle, my dad and I took our places in front of the double doors, the music cued and the doors were opened.  We walked down to Pachelbel's Canon in D major on antique pipe organ.


The left picture was when I still thought I wouldn't cry....
I remember after those doors opened, I immediately made eye contact with my friend Angie from nursing school.  I can remember looking at her smiling at me, hearing the song, holding my dad's arm and thinking "oh boy, here come the tears".  I'm crying even now thinking of that moment, it is one that has really stuck with me.  Another one that has really stuck was my dad lifting my veil.  That simple act made it all seem so final (some serious bittersweet tears fell at that moment).

Our ceremony seemed to pass by so quickly.  It seemed like one minute I was walking down the aisle, and the next one Brett and I were making our exit.  I know that I could not stop smiling through the whole thing though - even during the moments when I would be crying.


Of the ceremony, I think hearing Brett say his vows was my favorite part.  We used the traditional "for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health" vows.  Writing our own vows was not something that either of us wanted to do - we both feel that there is a lot to be said for tradition (and in a lot of ways, the traditional vows fit us better as a couple than any vows we wrote would have).  I tell you what, I think the most romantic thing a man can every say to you is to promise to love you for better or worse, for richer or poorer; in sickness and in health, for as long as you both shall live.  Sigh, my heart melts...

Sadly - despite all our practicing during rehearsal (our minister literally made us practice exiting the church slowly so that people could take pictures) - we basically dashed up the aisle to Mendelssohn's Wedding March.

We left at such a clip that this is the only photo we have of us leaving, and no one got one of the maid of honor and best man!
Like the ceremony, the reception seemed to pass in a daze.  My sister's toast to the bride was so touching.  She quoted the poem "I Carry Your Heart" by E.E. Cummings, which has always had special meaning to us.  More than one tear was shed (yep, I'm talking full on ugly cry - complete with a small amount of hyperventilation... it wasn't pretty).  There are photos of that event, but for your sake and my own, I think I will keep those to myself (no one needs to see that).

Our first dance was amazing.  Alan Jackson's "Livin' on Love" was the song we chose (if you've never heard it you seriously need to click on that link... it's just wonderful).

We love to two-step!
Our wedding was a truly magical day - I almost wish that I could go back and do it again (minus all the planning) just so I could experience it a second time!  There will be more wedding pictures to come tomorrow - on our actual anniversary - so stay tuned for that!

Hope your weekend is off to a great start!






2 comments:

  1. Tears were shed at the wedding and tears are being shed as I read and reminisce about the lovely wedding you and Brett had. And recalling Austin's beautiful 'Toast to the Bride', brought on more sobs. All happy, loving tears.

    ReplyDelete