Sunday 20 July 2014

Happy Birthday Austin!


I know, two consecutive birthday posts!  Mom says that having Austin the day after her birthday was the best birthday gift she has ever gotten.  I'd say that it is the best gift our whole family got.  We just wouldn't be the same without our youngest member.

A little sister is like a built in best friend - at least for us it was.  It doesn't matter how much we fight or disagree, in an hour we have gotten over it and are best friends again.  I know that she will always be there for me when I need her.  She will be what I need her to be at that moment, be it cheerleader, confidant, secret keeper or shoulder to cry on.


Austin is strong, resilient, and as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.

As kids, we were together basically one hundred percent of the time.  Austin would tell you that she thinks this was frustrating for me.  What you don't know, Austin, is how very much I leaned on you and found comfort in your presence at my side.  You gave me the confidence to accomplish what I never could have on my own, and for that I must thank you.


One of my favorite movies and books is "In Her Shoes".  Austin knows this well, as she was often the one forced to watch the movie (IE: cry to the movie) over and over and over with me - this is also a testament to her great patience.

In this movie, the younger sister recites a poem to the older; I have always felt like this poem explains the love between Austin and I - for the love between sisters is something truly special.  Austin recited it during her toast to the bride speech at my wedding (causing me some seriously ugly tears).  Austin, be thankful that you can cry in the comfort of your own home.

In all seriousness, every word of this is true when it comes to my love for Austin:

"I carry your heart with me.  I carry it in my heart.  I am never without it.   Anywhere I go, you go, my dear.  And whatever is done by only me... is your doing my darling.  I fear no fate... for you are my fate, my sweet.  I want no world, for, beautiful... you are my world, my true.  Here is the deepest secret no one know.  Here is the root of the root... and the bud of the bud... and the sky of the sky of a tree called life... which grows higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide.  It is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart.  I carry your heart.  I carry it in my heart."

I don't know where I would be without you Austin.  I am so very proud of you and love you so much.  I wish you the happiest birthday and many more to follow.

There is no better friend than a sister, and no better sister than you.

No comments:

Post a Comment