Monday 17 November 2014

The Inevitable...

There comes that inevitable point in one's university career that you are just plain burnt out.  This past month has really been that for me.  This is my fifth year in university... Ugh, it sounds even worse when I say it out loud.  Five years for an undergrad degree isn't a ridiculous amount of time, I know this.  There are lots of people who have needed to take longer to finish up, and that is totally fine.  But I do not envy those people, that is for sure.  Because I tell you what, five years has felt like an eternity.

Don't get me wrong, I have had some truly amazing times on this journey.  I met my husband here, made some friends who are more like family than anything else, and found my calling and passion in nursing.  But to the people who say college will be the best time of your whole life... I sincerely hope that that is not going to be the case in my life.

I know that part of this recent burn out has to do with some of my classes just not being my passion.  I realize that they are important and necessary for a well rounded nursing education, but this term has just not been my thing.  And I need to remind myself that that's okay.  No one is going to love every class they ever have to take - or even every second of their career.  You just have to be stubborn and push through - and if there is anything that I am good at it is being stubborn (or so my husband tells me).

The other thing getting me through: I just cannot wait to get started on my final practicum.  Final practicum is basically an internship for nurses.  You get paired with an RN and spend a whole term (yay!) learning on the job in an area of your interest.  I am just so excited to further develop my interests in nursing.  There are just so many opportunities in this field, and I can't wait to explore them more.

In the mean time, I will be trying my best to remind myself that good things do come to those who wait.

What keeps you going when you feel like giving up?  I would love some inspiration from you on this Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment